Self-catering Coarse and Carp Fishing Breaks
Besides the delightful scenery, Upton Lodges is a superb place for fishing holidays in Devon. Our three lakes are all well-stocked with a variety of species, while lakeside lodge users can enjoy their own private spots to cast from. With a good mixture of fish and features to explore, the lakes suit all ages and abilities too.
For the beginner, there are many roach, rudd and perch to catch on simple float fishing with maggots. For the more experienced angler, however, there are also some excellent larger specimen fish to catch. Perch grow to well over 3lb, while for the keen carp angler there are also numerous double figure commons, and mirrors to over 20lbs.
Fishing rules The welfare of our fish is of the utmost importance to us, therefore, please abide by the following guidelines.
- We do not allow day ticket fishing, fishing is purely for the enjoyment of our lodge guests only
- Barbless hooks only
- No tiger nuts or peanuts
- No carp to be kept in keep nets
- Maximum of two rods per person
- Please do not share landing nets, ensure you have one per person
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Fishing is not permitted from the lodge decking areas, please fish from the grassed area immediately in front of your lodge
- You must have a rod license to fish at Upton Lakes, this can be obtained from your local post office
- Please do not leave rods unattended at any time, even if you are using bite alarms
- Night fishing is permitted, please be courteous to other guests. The use of bite alams is not permitted at night.
- Bivvies are not permitted in front of our lodges, you are more than welcome to use them in open areas where they are no lodges.
River Culm And if you fancy a spot of river fishing, the River Culm is only a short walk from our own lakes.
Wildlife There is an abundance of wildlife at Upton Lakes including geese, ducks, foxes, deer, badgers, woodpeckers, and kingfishers, as well as many varieties of song bird who will give you a marvellous dawn chorus!
From Upton Lakes, head towards Cullompton town centre, through the town, right at the set of lights by the fish & chip shop, then straight over two roundabouts. We are on the left turn as you pass the Weary Traveller pub. From the M5 we are just off the roundabout of Junction 28. Open Monday to Saturday (except on bank holidays) – 9am to 5pm.
Place your order by Tuesday for it to be ready for collection at the weekend or to reserve in large quantities. Call Culm Valley Angling on 01884 839273. Browse through over 3000sq ft of angling equipment, selection of baits as well as our variety of clothing, luggage and accessories. From terminal tackle to rods and reels, we carry various brands such as Korda, Fox, ESP and many more. Get spoilt for choice on the baits available such as boilies, groundbait, pellets, particles and additives from our own House bait, to Mainline, Sticky, CC Moore, CarpTec and Dynamite baits. Fresh baits maggots and worms available too!
Purchase from the following brands:
- Copdock Mill
- Dynamite Baits
- Korda Goo
- Mainline Baits
- Sticky Baits
- Van Den Eynde
We also stock a large selection of frozen sea bait and cart bait. (Calamari, dirty squid, peeler crabs, mackerel, black lug, blueys, clams, razor fish, sand eels, lamprey, herrings, roach, perch, sardines, smelt, sprats). Fresh maggots, worms and castors are available too. You can pre-order lug, rag and lob worms.
hristmas time in our lodges is magical. After the madness of December, slow down and enjoy the delights of a family Christmas in luxury.
A surprise for someone special, a honeymoon, or a baby moon! A romantic relaxing holiday is just what you need.
Out & About
Things to do on your visit to Upton Lakes